Thank you for your interest in volunteering to help people in need! Volunteering for NHCO is mission focused: opportunities are meant to help someone in need, either directly or indirectly. Please see our volunteer opportunities below.
For more information please contact
NHCO’s Volunteer Coordinator
412-408-3830 x 3204.
Upcoming Volunteer Orientations.
Check our calendar for 2019 NHCO Volunteer Orientations
Many employers will match your financial donation in part or in full! Some will financially match your volunteer hours, too. Click here to see if your employer will match your donation!
Volunteer Opportunities at NHCO
Help us ring in the holiday season and become a Bell Ringer during our Salvation Army Kettle Campaign. No rhythm, no problem. It’s all about holiday cheer for a great cause. We need ringers at two locations:
Kuhn’s Market in Hampton
2412 Ferguson Rd
Allison Park, PA 15101
Sign up to ring here
Walmart in Gibsonia
300 Walmart Dr
Gibsonia, PA 15044
Sign up to ring here
Below is a list of areas where volunteers often serve. Please note that not every area or opportunity will be available at the time of your inquiry. If a specific volunteer opportunity or time is not available, we will try to suggest other organizations that might be a better fit.
- Special Events and Fundraisers
- Senior Programs
- Garden and Groundskeeping
- Office Support
- Food Pantry
We have several volunteer needs in our Senior Programs. Click on the links below to learn more.
- Make an amazing difference in a senior’s life.
For more information, visit our Volunteer to Help Seniors page
- Shovel Snow and help our older neighbors walk safely on their steps, walkways and driveways.
For more information, visit our Shovel snow for seniors page.
- Help seniors with light yard work. Get matched with a senior in your area and help them to enjoy the beauty of their surroundings.
For more information, visit our Volunteer to do light work for seniors page, or contact
- Safety for Seniors volunteers: Great for civic and corporate groups as well as individuals. Local seniors have requested home safety checks. Volunteers check for fall and fire hazards and install smoke detectors or change batteries. Items like nonslip bath mats, reachers and baking soda for grease fire are provided for volunteers to give seniors.
- In Service of Seniors North – Seniors are matched with a caring volunteer who can provide rides with their personal vehicle to medical appointments, grocery stores and other errands. Volunteers also provide friendly home visits, yard work, snow shoveling as well as home safety checks (requires additional training). In Service of Seniors is a free program.
For more information about our Senior Programs, visit our Volunteer to Help Seniors page, or contact
In Service of Seniors Coordinator
412-307-0069 x 3313
- Volunteer drivers and ride-along dispatchers are urgently needed for our Free Rides for Seniors shuttles in the communities of the Route 28 corridor. No special license is needed, shifts are short, and we will train!
For more information, Please contact
Kerry Keegan Mulhern
Free Rides for Seniors Team Leader and In Service of Seniors Program Coordinator
Free Rides for Seniors Coordinator
Or call 412-449-0151.
Other Ways to Volunteer
We have Group and Youth Volunteering Opportunities.
Ring bells for NHCO during the holiday season! NHCO is a Salvation Army unit. Our volunteers staff kettles and ringing bells over the holiday season.
Volunteer with our Free Tax Preparation Program.
NHCO is a partner in United Way of Southwestern PA’s Free Tax Preparation Campaign (FTP), which provides free income tax return preparation to low income individuals and families, helping them maximize their tax refund.
- Sign up for a free tax prep class with United Way.
Volunteer Contact Information
412-408-3830 x 3204 .
Garden and Youth volunteers
Garden and Youth Coordinator
412-307-0069 x 3311.
Please review our Volunteer Handbook online. This handbook serves as a reference to help you understand why and how NHCO incorporates volunteers. It explains requirements, fosters understanding of our policies and procedures, answers questions volunteers often ask, and demonstrates how our volunteers are integral members of the NHCO team. If you have questions, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Harriet Klatte.