Thank you for your interest in volunteering to help people in need! Please see our volunteer opportunities below, or contact Harriet at 412-408-3830 x 3204.
Upcoming Volunteer Orientations
Check our calendar for 2019 NHCO Volunteer Orientations
Many employers match volunteer time or financial donations!
BELOW ARE OUR MOST URGENT NEEDS:
- Volunteer drivers and ride-along dispatchers are urgently needed for our Free Rides for Seniors shuttles in the communities of the Route 28 corridor. No special license is needed, shifts are short, and we will train! Please contact Kerry or Tracy for more information at 412-449-0151.
- Volunteers are needed to help seniors with light yard work. Get matched with a senior in your area. Volunteers keep driveways, walkways and steps clear so that seniors can leave their home safely or enjoy the beauty of their yards. Volunteer registration is required. Visit our “Volunteer to do light work for seniors” page, or contact Cathy at 412-307-0069 x 3313.
- Safety for Seniors volunteers: Great for civic and corporate groups as well as individuals. Local seniors have requested home safety checks. Volunteers check for fall and fire hazards and install smoke detectors or change batteries. Items like nonslip bath mats, reachers and baking soda for grease fire are provided for volunteers to give seniors. For more information, visit our Volunteer to Help Seniors page, or contact Cathy at 412-307-0069 x 3313.
Volunteer Opportunities at NHCO
Volunteering for NHCO is mission focused: opportunities are meant to help someone in need, either directly or indirectly.
Below is a list of areas where volunteers often serve. Please note that not every area or opportunity will be available at the time of your inquiry. If a specific volunteer opportunity or time is not available, we will try to suggest other organizations that might be a better fit.
- General volunteering: Please contact NHCO Volunteer Coordinator Harriet Klatte at 412-408-3830 x 3204 .
- Garden and Youth volunteers: Please contact Alyssa Crawford at 412-307-0069 x 3311.
- In Service of Seniors and Free Rides for Seniors programs: Register here, or contact Nancy Jones at 412-307-0069 x 3321.
Some other opportunities:
- Special Events and Fundraisers
- Citrus Sale
- Senior Programs
- Garden and Groundskeeping
- Office Support
- Food Pantry
Please review our Volunteer Handbook online. This handbook serves as a reference to help you understand why and how NHCO incorporates volunteers. It explains requirements, fosters understanding of our policies and procedures, answers questions volunteers often ask, and demonstrates how our volunteers are integral members of the NHCO team. If you have questions, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Harriet Klatte.