Food pantry donations
NHCO relies on food and toiletry donations from the community to stock our three pantries. More than 95 percent of what we distribute to those in need has been donated to us! Scroll down for suggested items.
You can hold a food or cleaning supplies collection at any time to help hungry families in northern Allegheny County, especially during late summer months when donations tend to be low! (Students, you can get volunteer hours! Contact Alyssa for details.)
Please note that items should be unopened, unexpired and nonperishable (with the exception of fresh fruits and vegetables). We can accept frozen items, including meat, at the Allison Park site. Please call ahead if you have a large frozen food donation. Thank you!
FOUR EASY WAYS YOU CAN DONATE FOOD!
- NHCO’s offices are open 9am-4pm, Monday through Friday.
- We have special donation times on the FIRST Saturday morning of each month from 9am-noon in our Allison Park pantry behind the main building.
- You may call 412-487-6316 opt 1 to make special arrangements for a special drop off time.
- Or you can donate at other locations in the community.
- We respectfully ask that you do not leave donations outside due to possible contamination from weather, insects or animals. Items left outside could be discarded.
Below is a list of our most needed items.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables from your garden/market are welcome!
- Canned/jar food such as:
- Soup (hearty, meal-style soups preferred)
- Canned chili
- Canned pasta (ravioli, lasagna, etc.)
- Canned fruit
- Pasta sauce
- Peanut butter and jelly
Toiletries such as:
- Toilet paper and paper towels
- Feminine hygiene products
- Toothpaste and toothbrushes
- Shaving cream, deodorant and other toiletries
- Shampoo and soap
- Band-Aids and Neosporin
- Diapers, baby food, and unopened formula
- Cleaning supplies such as:
- Bleach and laundry detergent
- Dish detergent
- Sponges, Soft Scrub, all-purpose sprays
- Fruit juice and juice boxes
- Crackers and school snacks such as single-serve applesauce, granola and breakfast bars, etc.
- Rice and rice mixes
- Meal-in-a-Box and Hamburger Helper
For more information about our pantries or food collections, please contact Amber, our food pantry coordinator, at 412-487-6316 opt 1.
Please contact Jen for a custom flier for your collection.
Click here for Tips for Collecting.