Volunteer to Help Seniors
Thank you for your interest in volunteering to help a senior in your community! Just an hour of your time each week or month can make an amazing difference in a senior’s life.
When you provide a ride to the doctor or the grocery store, check a senior’s home for safety issues, or just visit and share a cup of tea, you are helping a senior feel less lonely. You are helping a senior maintain his dignity, or stay comfortable living in her own home.
It’s easy to volunteer for NHCO’s In Service of Seniors: North program. Just follow the steps below to get started.
1. Open Your Heart to a Senior. Click here to watch a short video from United Way about how volunteering can make a difference in your life and the life of a senior!
2. Volunteer Orientation PowerPoint Video. Click below to view our Volunteer Orientation PowerPoint.
4. Volunteer Registration Form. After completing the steps above, please click here to fill out a simple volunteer registration form online. After you submit the form, a staff member will be in touch within a few days to arrange a time to meet with you to complete the volunteer registration process.
5. Clearances. Below are links to three required clearances. Completed clearance certificates must be on file prior to being matched with a senior.
- Free volunteer criminal check. Free for volunteers. Please complete and provide us with the certificate. PA State Police – https://epatch.state.pa.us/Home.jsp
- Child abuse. Please complete and provide us with the certificate. PA Child Welfare – https://www.compass.state.pa.us/cwis/public/home **Prior to logging into this site, please have ready a list of all of your addresses, including household members, since 1975.
- Driving record. Please complete and provide us with the certificate ($9). Penn Dot – https://apps.pa.egov.com/idr
If you have questions at any point in the above process, please contact Cathy at 412-307-0069 x 3313.
NHCO and its In Service of Seniors: North program is a partner of the United Way of Southwestern PA’s Open Your Heart to a Senior initiative.