Thank you for your interest in volunteering to help people in need!
Your time, talent and passion can be used to help families in need in your community. Please see our volunteer opportunities below, or contact Harriet at 412-408-3830 x 3204.
Upcoming Volunteer Orientations
Check our calendar for 2017 NHCO Volunteer Orientations
Many employers match volunteer time or financial donations!
BELOW ARE OUR CURRENT NEEDS:
- Bell Ringers: NHCO is an official unit of the Salvation Army and we are recruiting bell ringers for November 24-December 23 for various shifts at Walmart-Gibsonia and Kuhn’s Market, Ferguson Road, Hampton. Kettles can raise up to $500 per shift!
Please contact Harriet at 412-408-3830 x 3204 for more information. Please note: Salvation Army requires all volunteers to fill out this form. NHCO does not have the authority to change the form. Please download and fill it out according to your comfort level and return by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to Harriet at 412-821-5480, or mail to Harriet Klatte at NHCO, 416 Lincoln Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15209.
- Volunteer Tax preparers are needed to help low-wage families during the tax prep season, January-April. Please click here for more information on registering.
- Volunteer drivers and ride-along dispatchers are urgently needed for our Free Rides for Seniors shuttles in the communities of the Route 28 corridor. No special license is needed, shifts are short, and we will train! Please contact Kerry or Tracy for more information at 412-449-0151.
- We are recruiting volunteers for our new HomeMeds Team. Volunteers will be trained to interview seniors about their medications, and enter that information into a web-based application. A pharmacist then follows up with the senior. This helps to alleviate dangerous medication duplication or errors. Please contact Nancy at 412-307-0069 x 3321 for more information.
- In Service of Seniors volunteers are needed to be matched with seniors. For more information or to register, click here.
Volunteer Opportunities at NHCO
Volunteering for NHCO is mission focused: every opportunity is meant to help someone in need, either directly or indirectly.
Below is a list of areas where volunteers often provide their services. Please note that not every area or opportunity will be available at the time of your inquiry. If a specific volunteer opportunity or time is not available for you, we will try to suggest other organizations that might be a better fit.
- General volunteering: Please contact NHCO Volunteer Coordinator Harriet Klatte at 412-408-3830 x 3204 for more information or to volunteer.
- Garden and Youth volunteers: Please contact Alyssa Crawford at 412-307-0069 x 3311.
- Our In Service of Seniors and Free Rides for Seniors programs always need volunteers. Register here, or contact Nancy Jones at 412-307-0069 x 3321.
Some other opportunities:
- Special Events and Fundraisers
- Citrus Sale
- Senior Programs
- Garden and Groundskeeping
- Office Support
- Food Pantry