NHCO’s Transportation Assistance program (formerly Community Auto) has expanded. We now offer several ways to help local people in need meet and overcome transportation challenges.
- you must live in NHCO’s service area of NORTHERN Allegheny County, NORTH of the City of Pittsburgh and
- your income must be at or below 150% of the poverty level (except for matching funds for car purchase, see below)
As funds allow, NHCO can provide one-time assistance for vehicle ownership expenses, transportation expenses or limited matching funds for vehicle purchase.
Help with Vehicle Ownership Expenses
- vehicle repair
- insurance payment to avoid break in coverage
- vehicle payment to avoid repossession
- gas cards
- car seats
- AAA membership
Help with Transportation Expenses
- CONNECT cards for public transportation
- Ride share for job interview, to get to a job, or other necessary appointment.
Help with Matching Funds for Vehicle Purchase
When funds allow, NHCO can match funds of up to $1,000 if you plan to buy a vehicle that you need to get to work. To qualify, Potential recipients must:
- be at or below 250% of poverty level
- be working 25+ hours per week or promise of job offer in hand
- attend a budgeting program through NHCO
- live in NHCO’s service area of northern Allegheny County outside of the City of Pittsburgh
Please note that you must live in NORTHERN Allegheny County NORTH of the City of Pittsburgh to qualify. If you need Transportation Assistance, or would like more details, please call 412-408-3830 extension 3225 or email Dan at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Many low-income people in suburban communities lack affordable or reliable transportation. In fact, of the many reasons people report they came to North Hills Community Outreach for help, transportation is always within the top three!
Lack of reliable, affordable transportation limits access to:
- certain jobs, therefore limiting income
- medical appointments
- a variety of healthy food options – in many communities, there are no grocery stores
- child care such as day cares and pre-schools
- post-secondary education options such as college and trade schools
- critical appointments and job interviews
- children’s school activities, worship or other community involvement
Other transportation resources:
Hebrew Free Loan Association of Pittsburgh – interest-free loans for life expenses on a nonsectarian basis
Ways to Work – low interest car loans
Traveler’s Aid Society – transportation resources for stranded or low-income people
HELP FAMILIES IN NEED: DONATE A VEHICLE
You can donate a vehicle and help hundreds of families a year through NHCO’s Transportation Assistance program! (formerly Community Auto)
Don’t have a vehicle to donate? You can also help families in need by make a financial donation to NHCO. Thank you!