NHCO’s Transportation Assistance program (formerly Community Auto) has expanded and we now offer several ways to help local people in need meet and overcome transportation challenges.
As funds allow, NHCO can provide one-time assistance for Vehicle Ownership or Transportation expenses to those who are at or below 150% of the poverty level and reside in NHCO’s service area of northern Allegheny County outside of the City of Pittsburgh.
Vehicle Ownership Expenses
- vehicle repair
- insurance payment to avoid break in coverage
- vehicle payment to avoid repossession
- gas cards
- car seats
- AAA membership
- CONNECT cards for public transportation
- Ride share for job interview, to get to a job, or other necessary appointment.
When funds allow, NHCO may match funds of up to $1,000 for those planning to purchase a vehicle that is needed to get to work. Potential recipients of these funds must meet the following qualifications:
- at or below 250% of poverty level
- working 25+ hours per week or promise of job offer in hand
- attend budgeting program through NHCO
- reside in NHCO’s service area of northern Allegheny County outside of the City of Pittsburgh
If you need Transportation Assistance, or would like more details, please call 412-408-3830 extension 3209 or email Maria at email@example.com .
Many low-income people in suburban communities lack affordable or reliable transportation. In fact, of the many reasons people report they came to North Hills Community Outreach for help, transportation is always within the top three!
Lack of reliable, affordable transportation limits access to:
- certain jobs, therefore limiting income
- medical appointments
- a variety of healthy food options – in many communities, there are no grocery stores
- child care such as day cares and pre-schools
- post-secondary education options such as college and trade schools
- critical appointments and job interviews
- children’s school activities, worship or other community involvement
Other transportation resources:
Hebrew Free Loan Association of Pittsburgh – interest-free loans for life expenses on a nonsectarian basis
Ways to Work – low interest car loans
Traveler’s Aid Society – transportation resources for stranded or low-income people
HELP FAMILIES IN NEED: DONATE A VEHICLE
You can donate a vehicle and help hundreds of families a year through NHCO’s Transportation Assistance program! (formerly Community Auto)
Don’t have a vehicle to donate? You can also help families in need by make a financial donation to NHCO. Thank you!