Our Self-Sufficiency program (formerly called Case Management or Family Development) helps you make and achieve goals. Some people want to get a job, other want to get an education. People can be enrolled in this program for as long as it takes to become self-sufficient!
The Self-Sufficiency program helps you achieve stability and self-reliance. In this program, we work with you over time, rather than just with immediate issues.
Our goal is to help you recognize your strengths and build upon them. Together, we work on reaching your goals at your own pace.
You might qualify for our Self-Sufficiency program if you:
- are a resident of northern Allegheny County north the City of Pittsburgh and
- live in a household whose total income is no more than 125% of the Federal Income Poverty Guidelines and
- are at least 18 years old
Is this you?
- Are you out of work or working below your potential?
- Do you earn less than you need to live?
- Are there roadblocks keeping you from getting ahead?
NHCO can help you
- figure out what your strengths are and what stands in your way
- create a plan to reach your goals
- overcome the roadblocks between you and your goal
You will receive personal encouragement and meet one on one with a service coordinator. NHCO’s service coordinators provide support and guidance. They can also give you referrals to other sources of help.
How do we help?
- We help you gain access to the services and resources you need to achieve your goals.
- We help you create your own long- and short-term goals and action plans.
- We help you gain skills and knowledge that will empower you to become self-reliant.
- We provide encouragement and support.
What do you have to do?
- Keep regular monthly one-on-one contact.
- Identify an employment goal or education goal.
- Work with a Family Development specialist to create a plan to achieve your goal.
- Follow through on your plan to achieve your goal! When you meet your goal, you will be on your way to becoming self-reliant. We will be with you each step of the way.
To enroll or get more information, contact the nearest NHCO office. Appointments are available at Millvale and North Boroughs offices!
This program is funded in part by a grant from the Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development.