Food pantry donations
NHCO relies on donations from individuals, congregations, schools, businesses and civic groups to keep the shelves of our three pantries stocked. In fact, more than 95 percent of what we distribute to those in need has been donated to us.
Please consider holding a food collection at any time throughout the year to help hungry families in northern Allegheny County, especially during the summer months when donations tend to be low!
Please note that food should be unopened, unexpired and nonperishable (with the exception of fresh fruits and vegetables). We have a walk-in freezer and can accept frozen food at the Allison Park site. Please call ahead if you have a large frozen food donation. Thank you!
NHCO’s offices are open 9am-4pm, Monday through Friday. Alternately, you can donate at other locations in the community. Occasionally we have extra donation hours on a Saturday morning or a weekday evening. Please call 412-487-6316 opt 1 to ask about special donation hours or to arrange a special drop off time. We respectfully ask that you do not leave donations outside, due to potential damage from insects, animals or weather. Items left outside could need to be discarded.
Below is a list of our most needed items.
- Toilet paper and paper towels
- Toothpaste, shampoo, soap, deodorant and other toiletries
- Feminine hygiene products
- Crackers and school snacks such as single serving applesauce, granola and breakfast bars, etc
- Cleaning supplies including bleach, sponges, dish and laundry detergent, Soft Scrub, etc.
- Soup (chunky, meal style soups preferred)
- Canned pasta (ravioli, lasagna, etc.)
- Meal-in-a-Box and Tuna/Hamburger Helper
- Peanut butter and jelly
- Canned fruit and vegetables
- Pasta (1 pound preferred) and sauce
- Rice and rice mixes
- Canned tuna
- Fruit juice
- Fresh fruits and vegetables from your garden are welcome!
- Diapers, baby food, and unopened formula
- PediaSure, Ensure
- Instant stuffing, instant mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce (especially during October for Thanksgiving collection)
- Pie crust and easy pumpkin pie mix (especially during October for Thanksgiving collection)
For more information about our pantries or food collections, please contact Erica, our food pantry coordinator, at 412-487-6316 opt 1.
Please contact Jen for a custom flier for your collection.
Click here for Tips for Collecting.