- Summer 2014: Volunteer Donna Bechtold is recognized by InShaler magazine as a Volunteer of the Year for her dedication to helping local families access utility help.
- June 2014: NHCO partners with the Allegheny County APPRISE program by helping to spread the word and organize Medicare OPEN ENROLLMENT educational and counseling sessions for APPRISE in northern Allegheny County. NHCO received the APPRISE award for helping APPRISE be exceptionally successful this year. (APPRISE received the Pennsylvania “Secretary’s Award” this year for their achievements.)
- June 2014: In Service of Seniors was selected as a winner of a 2014 Honorable Mention STAR Award by the National Volunteer Transportation Center, for excellence in service delivery to senior passengers.
- May 2014: Board Emeritus and volunteer Ruth Graham received the Penny Smith Status of Women Award from Zonta Three Rivers North. Zonta presents the award annually to a woman to “improves the legal, political, economic and professional status of women.”
- In October, NHCO’s Rosalinda Sauro Sirianni Garden was named a regional winner of the Pennsylvania Horticulture Society (PHS) Community Greening Award.
- Youth volunteer Sneha Srinivasen received the Celebration of Caring Award in August for her efforts to establish a children’s area at NHCO’s Rosalinda Sauro Sirianni Garden, thereby serving the hungry through volunteerism. Youth volunteer Connor Weiss was a special honors nominee for his efforts to eradicate hunger in the community.
- Board member Ryan Wilson was named a recipient of the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank’s Hunger Awareness Day Awards for his work on many fronts to feed hungry children.
- NHCO was named InCommunity magazine’s best Large Nonprofit for Hampton
- Volunteers Karen Roach and Kay Neiswonger received InCommunity magazine’s Volunteer of the Year award for the Fox Chapel area.
- Volunteer Theresa Amelio was honored as the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Volunteer Citizen of the Year
- NHCO received the PublicAllies RISE Changemaker award, Organization category.
- NHCO made the 2012 GreatNonprofits Top-Rated List.
- Board Member Nancy Naragon earned the League of Women Voters’ Civic Star Award for her exceptional service.
- Director of Services Carolyn Pschirer was awarded the Mooseheart Award by the Etna Moose Lodge for her years of work to help those in need.
- Volunteer Ryan Wilson is named an Everyday Hero by the Sodexo Foundation and donates his $5,000 prize to NHCO.
- Board Member Emeritus Shirley McIlvried is named the North Journal’s Citizen of the Year.
- NHCO Wins the Alfred W. Wishart, Jr. Award for Excellence in Nonprofit Management, presented by The Forbes Funds.
- NHCO’s Community Auto program is one of 10 organizations (out of 98 applicants) to compete in the Fast Pitch, sponsored by Pittsburgh Social Venture Partners. Community Auto’s Manager Jennifer Carr placed second, earning a $7,500 prize for NHCO.
- NHCO receives the United Way of Allegheny County’s Award for Excellence for service to vulnerable seniors.
- NHCO receives the United Way of Allegheny County’s Award for Excellence for service to financially struggling families.
- Volunteer and board member Althea Worthy received the Golden Eagle Award from the $ Energy Fund for her outstanding service to people in need.
- Volunteer and board member Althea Worthy is named a Community Champion by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- NHCO service coordinator Natalie Klaum is a recipient of the Golden Eagle Award, presented by the $1 Energy Fund to individuals who go above and beyond to help others.
- NHCO is a recipient of this year’s Good Government Award given by the League of Women Voters. NHCO is recognized for the Millvale Satellite expansion project with the Borough of Millvale.
- NHCO is the winner of a LIHEAP Challenge with the prize being lunch with Steeler great Franco Harris! NHCO was selected because staff and volunteers did an outstanding job making LIHEAP referrals for low-income customers during this past heating season.
- Jim Loscar, a valued operations department volunteer, is named a Community Champion by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- NHCO service recipient receives the Self Sufficiency Award from Community Action Association of PA, with only one award given in each county to an individual who moves from poverty to economic stability (1999, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2007 as well).
- Jill Herman, longtime lead volunteer for NHCO’s Loaves & Fishes Food Pantry, is named a Community Champion by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- NHCO service recipient receives the Self Sufficiency Award from Community Action Association of PA, with only one award given in each county to an individual who moves from poverty to economic stability (2000, 2001, 2003, 2006 as well).
- Volunteer Jean Muth is honored for her dedication and volunteerism at the National Association of Women Business Owners Pittsburgh Chapter’s Awards Luncheon.
- Family Savings Account (FSA) program lead volunteer Marleen Kasbee is named a Community Champion by the Post-Gazette.
- Allegheny County Council issues a proclamation commending NHCO for its “dedication and commitment to assisting the dislocated families affected by Hurricane Katrina. Their response in Allegheny County has been characterized by unprecedented collaboration, a spirit of good will and cooperation which serves as an inspiration to us all.”
- Family Savings Account (FSA) program lead volunteer Marleen Kasbee is honored for her dedication and volunteerism at theNational Association of Women Business Owners Pittsburgh Chapter’s Awards Luncheon.
- Volunteer Jason Altmire receives the ARCADIA Award from Northern Allegheny County Chamber of Commerce for professionalism and excellence in community service.
- Volunteer Barb Barcousky is named a Community Champion by the Post-Gazette for longtime service NB Food Pantry.
- NHCO is one of three finalists for the prestigious Alfred W. Wishart Jr. Award for Excellence in Nonprofit Management.
- Director of Operations Dianne Buirge is named a finalist for CFO of the Year, presented by the Pittsburgh Business Times.
Check out the rest of our Awards and Achievements throughout our history.